8.06.2005

Post-Mod Sux!

So--I'm not post-modernism's biggest fan. But I don't totally buy into the Stuckists. Some of their assertions I totally agree with:
"Post Modernism, in its adolescent attempt to ape the clever and witty in modern art, has shown itself to be lost in a cul-de-sac of idiocy. What was once a searching and provocative process (as Dadaism) has given way to trite cleverness for commercial exploitation."

but they have a really (un?)educated naivete which I find disturbing. The first point on their manifesto:
"Stuckism is the quest for authenticity. By removing the mask of cleverness and admitting where we are, the Stuckist allows him/herself uncensored expression."

Maybe I've been reading literary theory for too long--this makes me all, "Althusser, mofos, 1970, you can't escape interpellation into an ideology." Writing a manifesto about 20th C theories of aesthetics without a basic reading of 20th C theory? Makes you look foolish. Also the name. Also this:
"It is the Stuckist’s duty to explore his/her neurosis and innocence through the making of paintings and displaying them in public, thereby enriching society by giving shared form to individual experience and an individual form to shared experience."

Also, it makes me look foolish by turning me into an old lady sighing about how people don't read anymore. Stupid post-modernism, this is all your fault!

No comments: